The difference between being smart and being competent by Charles Avis
SMARTNESS IS NOT ENOUGH!!
@Charles Avis December 2018
So every smart person in the house, I have bad news for you. SMARTNESS IS NOT ENOUGH.
As a consultant and a coach, I journey through diverse experience in mentoring people, I have realized that lots of folks out there are so smart but broke.
Being smart is a great thing. By the way, you can’t survive in a country like Nigeria and not be smart. It is as though smartness is natural default for survival for any Nigerians.
So, I have come across lots of smart broke people. I will be speaking your mind right now, because you know you are smart. Your brain is sharp and you have the street intelligence kinda thing yet you are broke.
It can be frustrating to know that you are smart yet you are not making money. Then you look around and see people who are not as smart as you to be making money.
So, to me, being smart is not something to joyous about.
For several years I was in the street with my smartness yet I was so broke. No money to feed, look good and at the end of the day I asked my self, with all my smartness why am I not making money.
It was later that I realised that it takes competence to succeed in life not smartness. However, smartness makes your competence more easy.
COMPETENCE IS BETTER THAN SMARTNESS.
So, You get an opportunity as a young guy that is well-collected and packaged to do something you claim you are good at, but then, you can’t deliver.
Smartness will not bail you out of incompetence. In fact, you can be a smart guy/lady and not be competent.
So, What is competence? Competence is your degree of proficiency rated above 70% in the things required to produce success.
So, I made this post to help you look inward and see if all that you are is a bunch of smartness or you are really competent.
THERE ARE 21 BASIC SKILLS TO BECOME COMPETENT.
Kindly note that list below is not in order of priority but a checklist of what is required before you can become a competent person.
1. Executive Disposition: I wrote a long post about executive disposition, if you miss it, click this link to read about it.
Every decision that will be made concerning you will be made when you are not in the room. How do you create a perception that makes people think you are competent to do what you claim to do? this about how you position, carry and package yourself. It’s the story you tell the subconsciousness of the people around you.
2. Communication: Ability to talk doesn’t mean you are a good communicator. People, stick to nature and never see a need to grow. You can talk, but speaking requires some skills and communicating is a different thing entirely. Your ability to communicate your vision, idea or intention to other people in a away that they get it as much as you do is through communication. Communication is not a one-way traffic. It’s is vise versa. You need to learn to absorb information, relate with people, expunge facts through effective listening. You need to learn communication as a critical skills to be able to standout and make it in life. Talking doesn’t make you a good communicator - Learn to communicate. So, every smart guy feels they can talk and that is all there is to be. That is a wrong paradigm that must be shifted.
3. Sales/Marketing: So, there is this thing about youths of nowadays, I am a caterer, I don’t like marketing. Whether you want/like it or not, everyday you move consciousness or unconsciously, you are selling and marketing something. No wonder lots are struggling and broke. You need to take marketing seriously. Sales should be a default skills for you. You can’t all be about smartness alone and leave the critical skills required for success. To be great, you need to learn how to put yourself, your product in front of the right audience. You also need to have the skills to convince them that you are worth their money by making them pay you not just once but repeatedly - Sales!
4. Networking/Collaboration: I Like to do things on my own. I don’t like when people are not moving at my pace - If that is your thinking you will never go far. If working with people around you slows you down, the question isn’t about collaborating, but the fact that you have the very wrong sets of people around you. All you need to do is go for the right competent, and experienced folks. If you are the biggest thing happening around you, then you and everything around you put together are small and myopic. No man is an island of success. You can’t succeed alone. You need to learn to share differences with people. What are you good at, what do you lack that other people have? you need to blend the dichotomy through effective and strategic networking and collaboration with the right sets of people. I don’t keep fools around me. According to the law of average by Jim Ron, we are the average of 5 people in our life. Don’t keep dull, stupid, visionless, driveless, myopic and negative energy people around you. It sucks and when they sucks, they suck your dream with it.
5. Tools/Applications: You see, you need to know how to do the job. You need to know and learn basic skills like Designing, Microsoft word, Power point, excel for data analysis and computation, and any other relevant tools or software that is required to get the job done. Take for instance, I interviewed someone applying for a post of accountancy, yet she doesn’t know how to use Quickbooks and other accounting softwares. Then I asked her, Do you intend to operate your accounting role inside the paper? In this computer age, you still don’t know how to crawl every part of a computer, learn to surf the internet to get whatever you want. The only digital revolution some people know is the use of their phone. Aside from their mobile phone, they are dumb. They know nothing about operating computers. The worst of it, it's only whatsapp, Facebook, Instagram and Snappchat that they know. Instead of the phone making them smart “smartphones as the name implies” it makes them dull and mentally paralytic.
6. Presentation: Some people’s sense of delivery is awful. My brother intention is bullshit. The only way intention is understood is if its well presented. No matter how remarkable you are, no matter how smart you are, no matter how good your attitude is, if you are wrongly presented, people stick with the wrong presentation and assumed it as your intention. Presentation is Key. You need to know how to look exquisite, look different, present you and your product well. People buy you first, before they buy your product.
How you speak and talk is part of your presentation. You see a lady as pretty as an angel, until she opens her mouth to talk before you run away. Y'all guys know what I am talking about. You need to be deliberate about everything concerning what people see and perceived about you. There are several post on my timeline about personal branding and how to package yourself. Look it up.
7. Goal setting/Audaciousness: In the land of the dream, the only constant thing is sleeping. One of the most important skills you need to have, which people don’t think as a skill they should learn, is Goal setting and ability to be brutal and audacious with your goals. I am a doer. No retreat, no surrender. No excuse. No time for bullshit pampering of ideas, spending eternity trying perfect it when I am fully aware that it’s an impossible task to reach perfection. I go out there and I get things done. In the process I fall, I get brutalised, I fail but I don’t care. I don’t give a demn about what I go through in the process, all I care about is my result. My final result is all that matters to me. Smartness will not give you resilience, patience or turgidity. You need to learn to withstand pressure while pursuing what you love and believe in.
8. Discipline/Principles : Success is a discipline, it’s a punishment not everyone can bear, the reason why only a few succeed. You must have values, uphold principles and be adamant about those things you believed in. Everything that will make you successful are not comfortable with your body or mind; reason you need to instil discipline to make them happen. Your mind is lazy and always seek to enjoy; nothing else. Just the way you discipline a spoiled child is the way you need to discipline yourself and your mind to conform on the things that will make you succeed. This is so true of the reason you will spend 5 hours on Instagram, Snap Chat and twitter and the moment you carry book to read for 10 minutes, you are already tired, bored or feeling sleepy. Why? Your body need some discipline. Smartness will not bail you out of indiscipline.
9. Temperance/Emotional IQ: If we put a thermometer to measure the degree of your anger and foolishness, it will extrapolate the limit. Little disappointment you are messed up, no composure, nothing. The ability to gain control over your emotion is what defines your maturity. Every success requires a level of emotional maturity else you will mess things up. Being smart will not make you have emotional control, it’s a skill you need to learn and master; you need to gain complete mastery over your emotions.
10. Leadership Skills: Leading is not function of position, its your ability to inspire a dream, lead the idea and motivate others to join your cause and participate in their freewill while showing them absolute respect in the process.
I usually hear people say leadership is when you are boss and you have a couple of people saying yes sir, yes ma to you before you see yourself as a leader. That is a dysfunctional myth. Life is in degrees. In your little way, someone is looking at your lifestyle, copying you and living their life based on how you live yours. Leadership is influence. Everyone has influence - be it good or bad. This is why you need to be conscious about how you leave your life and be critical about the values you hold dearly. You can be smart, and be bad at leading yourself and people. There are so many materials on leadership. Lookup and read more.
11. Failure Mitigation Skills: Ability to deal with failure is a skill that you need to master not a function of smartness. You fail, you give up, quit and say life is unfair-You are weak. Even the kingdom of God suffereth violence, how much more you. Failure is an evidence that success is real. You need to learn to embrace failure as the process of making and becoming. The process of transmogrifying into what you dream and desire. You need to learn how to convert every disappointment to an idea. The ability to always convert every situation that isn’t favourable into something awesome is the skills I am talking about. When you fail, you need this skills to bounce back. You need this skill to believe in yourself and never to give up. Smartness can get you into failure. This skills will get you out of failure.
12. Success Syndrome Skills: Yes! This is the real deal. Some people once they make small money, the whole of Facebook won’t rest. Bragging, and riding on other people’s Esteem is their way. Everything you have is where someone’s give away begins. You need to be humble and learn to embrace success not as a sign of superiority over others but a tool to impact your world. The essence of success overflow is to affect others. Any success that is only limited to you is a failure in disguise. You make money then you stop trying until the money finishes. For some, it’s when they make money they will remember all the beer parlour and hotel around. All the joints and club houses. It will be as if their brain is padlocked. The moment they finish spending the money, they begin to remember all they plannned to do with money. You need to learn to manage little success, use it to build up for the next level of success. Remember, always think of affecting the world around you.
13. Financial IQ: A lot of people are so kin and parsimonious about making money, yet they have never one day bought a book about how to spend and invest money. You need to know the rules of money and how it flows to position yourself for generational wealth. Your strength is your capital. So, as you are making money, you need to learn how to invest the money to create wealth for the time you will be out of strength to work. Financial IQ skill is what will save you from poverty at your old age. It’s about now you have the exigent need to learn about investment preparing for when you can no longer work. You need to always remember at all times that you will not always have the same energy to do what you are doing. If all you are doing now is eating all you make then your destiny is questionable.
Financial IQ is a tool for trans-generational wealth. If your parent are wealthy and you have something to inherit? Good for you. For some people like us, the LIFE we are suffering is because we are scratchers. We are building from scratch. The question is what will you leave for your unborn generation?
14. Vision: Not every eyes that look can see. The story of a guy that was sent to a remote village by his company to survey, he got there and realised that the village is too remote and they don’t wear shoe. So, he complained and requested for transfer as the place is not comfortable to work. So, the company sent another person, the person saw that they don’t wear shoe in the village and turned it to a business opportunity. Your vision will determine how far you will go in life. It’s also quite unfortunate that being smart, gives you no vision. If you are smart with no vision, you will end up poor with all your smartness.
15. Spiritual Awareness: What is the place of God in your life is a skill you need to know. Ability to know what is of might and of spiritual intervention requires a kin study of how God speaks and deals with you. This skills will help you approach life spiritually when it’s needed and to dispense mental effort where necessary.
16. Diplomacy/Politics: Some people are uncultured and lack discretion of appropriately doing things. You will hear, I always say my mind. I don’t know how to hide my mouth when I am upset. That is stupidity. There are level of success you will not attain just being outpouring all the time. Diplomacy is your ability to manage your energy and situation concurrently while maintaining your brand view. You need to learn to navigate. Humans are erratic and spontaneous- only diplomacy can deal.
17. Social/Community Engineering Skills: Your ability to relate to the world around you will determine how you participate in it. Community and social Engineering skills is the ability to have solution driven skill-sets that is always geared to solve a problem. The world revolves around those who gives to the world not those who collect from it. You need to always be solution driven. Look around you, observe people around, what problem and challenges are they experiencing, and how you can solve it. In the process of solving and being driven by this, you will hit success.
18. Character/integrity: Integrity is not natural, you need to learn it. Building a good character worth emulating is not a function of smartness but someone willing to build and work on themselves. Your attitude motivates your behaviours, your action, what you see, do and how you relates. The world out of you only feels the ebullience of your character. That is how they profile the experience they have with you. Also, this is not a function of smartness. You need to learn to build a good character fostered on integrity.
19. Planning/Execution: I have a masterclass on planning where I demystify what is planning. The duration of this class is not less than 30hours. There is more to planing than just writing something down in a piece of paper. There are lots of resources when it comes to planning. You may have good intention and a good idea, if you get it wrong from the place of planning and execution that is all - failure is sure.
20. Effective Writing skills : Emeka Nobis has over emphasised the remarkable need on writing. He has resourcefully developed vast programs and materials on this subject.- Look/hook him up. You need to learn to communicate effectively through writing and documenting your thoughts process. This skill is required to communicate with your customers via email, chat, or other means. Through proposal and your company profile as well. Either ways you need this skills to succeed in life.
21. Research/Data Skills: if you don’t know how to get accurate data to support your idea, no one will believe in them. DOn’t just talk baseless off facts and data. Always let your communication be factual and based on data. This is a way of showing that you know what you are saying not just speculating.
If you are able to endure reading this my long post, then I have successfully been able to put you through on what to do to be competent and not just smart.
Thanks for reading.
*Search for other services in Port Harcourt*
More from Charles Avis
SUCCESS IS YOUR DUTY. BEING BROKE IS YOUR DOING.
The truth is you broke! Deep down in you, you know you are in a deep shit of money problem. You have been in the same job for 10years, salary hasn't changed meanwhile your rent has been increased 3 times in 10years. You have been in the same house for 12years.
The truth is you are so screwed. When you got the job, you were alone but now with a wife and kids. Yet your salary have low self esteem. Nothing is working. Nothing is moving. To make it worse you are a book worm and there is no result to show for it. Your life is a big disappointment. This is 2019, and your life isn't not even close to meeting up with your year 2016 goals. You are completely screwed. Well, this is the simple unapologetic truth. This may not sound well but this is your life. You are growing old and demn it, all effort is futile. This year you need to be mad. Let people call you mad. Fine. But your life is your right. It's your duty.
Success is your role. Success is your duty. if you don't do it, no one will help you do it. Being poor makes you a magnet to other poor people with mediocritic mindset. It takes will to break that gene. Others will use you to become successful and then dump you when they are made and meet the Havard and covenant university smart dude - just because you are broke. That is fact about this demnshit. So, life is that brutal. This year you need to change your perception about money. Money is power. Whoever have it controls the atmosphere. You are incapable of making your dreams come to life becuas you lack the power of money. You are voiceless when you are broke no matter how smart you are.
Last year you spend too much time going to church, fasting and praying but this year you need to be brutal with execution - doing on what you prayed about is an act of faith. It is faithlessness to keep praying for one thing for years instead of executing. That's a gross spiritual-coated stupidity. My brother get out and dare things. I Dare you. Go out everyday meet and tell people about what you do, get a skill. You need to be mad at what you do. This is your life. 100% your duty. There is no better shit to put up with than being broke. The pain can't be worse than being broke.
What is worse is when you seat as a broke person and do nothing. Hope isn't a strategy. Start doing and acting your dreams. For every easy way of doing something, there are several hard ways to get it done; all you need is sacrifice. Who cares about how it's done. Result cancel insult. Get it done! Apologies later and use money polish your skin off poverty. If you need to trek, do it. If it takes you going hungry to save. Get it done. If you need to be insulted to do what will get you out of being broke? Get it done. It doesn't matter Whether you form if you are fine or not at the end of the day you will still be broke. So, be real get things done. Every time you sleep, time sleeps off your hand and you limit possibility.
You need to be addicted to success. You need to meet successful people this year and be valuable to them. The fact is, if you are broke then the people who have been giving you advise are broke people. It's time to shift your camp. Leave the broke folks. This not me being mean. This is your life I'm talking about. If you talk to 2 persons every day about your business you would have talked with 710 people in one year. Even if the headquarters of Satan is in your village, you will produce result. It takes guts, adamant resilience and blatant passion to succeed. If you watch too much film, cut it down.
If you sleep too much, reduce it. If you watch football too much stop it. Moreover while pause your life to seat all day watching people at their work duty, and be broke at then of the day. You need to be hungry to succeed. There are 8 billions people on the planet, the hustle is real. Life don't have a special seat for weak people than the bottom. You need to hustle your way ground-up by fire by force. When a plane is taking off the ground, all the power channels towards leaving the ground. Let all your energy be channelled to leaving the broke stage. If you go to church where they do service on Monday when you are supposed to be meeting people and telling them about your idea and business, run for your life - serving God isn't that bad.
God will be disappointed in you if you spend all your time going to church yet end up broke. Your broke life is a bad investment for God. Because it prevents everyone connected to your success to be broke. Be a good representation of God. Poverty isn't an emblem of Christ. Change your strategy, enter the field and get things done. Possibilities is out there. Go out and get. Out there is where the answer lie, not at the corner of your room. Kappish! @iamavischarles Thanks