Want to become a sales Jedi? Then follow these tips young padawan!
1.As they say we have “two ears and one mouth” for a reason. To be a great sales professional you first have to learn to be a good listener. What is the point of going through your whole pitch only to realise at the end that your prospective sale lost interest a week ago.
2.Great sales professionals need to understand the obstacles that may be preventing prospective clients making that ultimate decision to buy your product instead of that of a competitor. Is it a price issue, maybe they don't think as you're not as established as a rival company therefore an element of trust is preventing them from converting, are they in between pay checks so don't want to commit just yet?
3.You need to have empathy with the client and put yourself in their position. Just like you they have expenses and obligations. If the product you are selling has a big purchase price then see if you can offer a flexible payment plan. If you believe in the quality of the product you are selling then focus the conversation on the positive aspects and so they can see what they are potentially missing out on.
4.Don't tell the client what the product does or how it functions. Focus on how it solves a problem. They are not buying a product, they are buying a solution.
5.Not every client or customer will purchase immediately. If for example you are working in a retail outlet and a customer is undecided then offer to set aside the item with their name on it until the end of the business day. This shows that you are prepared to go the extra mile for their custom and that they are valued enough for you do this.
6. A great sales attitude is based on 'What can I do for people and how can the product that I'm selling positively impact my customers lives.' Going in with a 'what can this do for me' mentality will quickly alienate your customers and make you look somewhat selfish and unconcerned about others.
7. Don't just sell and then never contact buyer again. After care is very important. You just sold a life changing product right? So you should care that the customer is getting the 100% satisfaction from it that you guaranteed. You should only be happy if they are happy. And of course if they are not happy then you should be the first to know, not their 1000 facebook friends.
8. Always be optimistic, friendly and confident. You're not going to smash the sales targets through the roof every day, simple as that, but negativity just like positivity is contagious. You're going to have phones slammed down on you, doors slammed in your face and so on but hey, they're the ones losing out by not experiencing your charm and wit!
9. Know your product inside out. You and the product are one so if you seem vague, unsure about how the product then guess what? I'm going to assume that whatever you are trying to sell is of such inferior quality that you couldn't even be bothered to do your research therefore you don't believe in it either so neither should I (door slams)
10. And most importantly (well, they're all important actually) take to heart this quote from Zig Ziglar 'You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want'